Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation

Johnson Hall State Historic Site

Skip Navigation LinksHome / Historic Sites / Johnson Hall State Historic Site
Address
139 Hall Avenue
Johnstown, NY 12095
Latitude 43.015064
Longitude -74.382301

Johnson Hall was the 1763 Georgian-style estate of Irish immigrant Sir William Johnson (1715 - 1774) and Molly Brant, a Mohawk Indian, and their eight children. Johnson was the largest single landowner and most influential individual in the colonial Mohawk Valley. His success in dealing with the Six Nations of the Iroquois greatly influenced England's victory over France for control of colonial North America. For his service, the British Crown bestowed upon Johnson the title of Baronet, and later appointed him Superintendent of Indian Affairs, a position to which he devoted himself and held throughout his life.

Differing cultures, traditions and languages combined to create a unique life for the Johnson family, with the Hall bustling with activity as home life and business life intermingled daily. Visitors included members of various Indian tribes, sometimes numbering in the hundreds at Council gatherings. The home was the centerpiece of a 700-acre working estate, with gardens, a mill, blacksmith shop, Indian store, barns, slave and servant housing and other essential buildings.

Following the death of Sir William in 1774, Molly and her children left Johnson Hall, and his eldest son John inherited the property and title of Baronet. The Revolution would cause this Loyalist family to eventually flee to Canada, and the Johnson Hall property and most of its contents were subsequently sold at auction following the War. Johnson Hall remained a private residence through 1906, when it was acquired by the State of New York and opened to the public as a State Historic Site. Today, Johnson Hall continues to welcome visitors and interpret the Johnson family through guided tours of the period room settings and of the historic grounds, educational programs and special events.

Please take a few minutes to complete our Visitor Survey

Hours of Operation

  • 2020 Season: July 22nd through October 11th

    Guided Tours of The Hall
    Guided tours will be given on Wednesdays through Sundays from 10am to 3pm by advance reservation only.  Call the Site at (518) 762-8712 during normal business hours to schedule.

    Tours will be limited to 5 people.

    Masks must be worn by all visitors inside the buildings. 

    Access into the buildings will be controlled by staff. Visitors should arrive no more than 10 minutes prior to their tour to enter the stonehouse to pay their admission.

    The museum shop will be available to visitors following their tour.

    Interpretive signs throughout the grounds of Johnson Hall detail the historic structures and features that were once part of the estate.

    Social distancing should be practiced by visitors while on the grounds of Johnson Hall.

Fees & Rates

  • Admission
  • Fees and Rates for Guided Tours

    $4.00 Adults
    $3.00 Senior Citizens and Students
    Children 12 and under Free
    $1.00 per person per program/$20 minimum School Groups (advance reservation)
    $3.00 per person per program/$20 minimum Groups (advance reservation)

Get Directions

Amenities Information

  • Amenities
  • Gift Shop (Accessible)
  • Picnic Area (Accessible)
  • Tours
  • Visitor Center (Accessible)