Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation

NHT Frequently Asked Questions

Skip Navigation LinksHome / Natural Heritage Trust / Donation & Gifts / Frequently Asked Questions

Giving Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Natural Heritage Trust?

The Natural Heritage Trust (Trust) is the official statewide charity of the Office of Parks Recreation and Historic Preservation (State Parks). Contributions to the Trust are used to support a wide variety of programs, events, and projects dedicated to parks, outdoor recreation, historic preservation, and conservation of water and our other natural resources.

Are gifts to the Trust tax-deductible?

Yes. The Trust is designated as a 501(c) (3) charitable organization. Gifts are tax deductible to fullest extent allowed by law.

Can I make sure my gift is used at the park or site I want to support?

Yes. Gifts may be designated to specific parks and historic sites and every dollar of your contribution will support the park or site you designate. General gifts to support the work of State Parks are also accepted. Gifts made to the Trust are not used to support the Trust's administrative operating costs.

My tax dollars already support State Parks, why are donations necessary?

The annual budget for State Parks is less than one-quarter of 1 percent of the total state budget. Over the last few years, park operations have endured a 40 percent budget cut. This has translated into fewer programs, less maintenance, reduced hours and closures of some parks and historic sites. Private donations help keep NYS parks & historic sites accessible & beautiful, and support programming that may otherwise be reduced or eliminated.

Can I donate online?

Yes. Online giving using the Trust's online giving form is simple and secure.

Can I make a recurring donation?

Yes. You can make monthly, quarterly, or semi-annual donations to your favorite park or historic site by choosing the recurring donation option on the Trust's online giving form. You may cancel your pledge at any time by contacting us at or 518-474-2997.

Can I make a gift of stock or securities to the Trust?

Yes! If you are interested in donating stock or securities to the Trust contact us at or 518-474-2997 so we can provide you with the correct transfer information.

Can I make a gift in honor or memory of someone?

Yes. Complete the gift form (pdf) and mail it in with your check. When your tribute gift is received, the Trust will send a personalized letter to the person or family you indicate, notifying them of your gift.