In 1905, Frank Lloyd Wright completed a residential estate that would become one of the most important works of his career. Buffalo's Martin House is a seminal Prairie House and a rare Wright design that incorporates multiple structures for an extended family.
A self-made man, Darwin D. Martin was a top executive for the Larkin Soap Company, a rapidly growing soap and mail order corporation at the turn of the 19th century. Having experienced a lonely and isolated childhood, Martin's dream was to have a home where his family could be reunited. This dream was realized when he commissioned Frank Lloyd Wright - destined to become America's greatest architect - to design the estate.
The estate would include a spectacular main house for Darwin and his wife, Isabelle, as well as a conservatory, a garage-stable, a dramatic connecting pergola, and a separate house for Martin's sister and brother-in-law, Delta and George Barton.
Today, the Martin House, a National Historic Landmark, has been restored to its glorious zenith of 1907. The museum consists of six buildings, grounds and gardens, and guest amenities including an interpretive visitor center, museum store, and cafe. A gardener's cottage was also added to the estate in 1909.
No Pets Allowed
A variety of tours are offered year-round, and most are docent-led. Reservations are strongly recommended as tours often sell out. A self-guided mobile tour is also offered for those who want a self-guided, exterior journey of the 1.5-acre estate. Visit martinhouse.org or call 716.856.3858 to browse the tour offerings and event calendar.