Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation

Skip Navigation LinksHome / Boating / Forms & Permits

Forms and Permits

Boating Education

  • Apply for a replacement certificate onlineLeaving New York State Parks or by mail

Accident Reporting

If you are involved in a boating accident, you are required to report it to New York State Parks if the accident resulted in:

  • An injury that required medical care beyond basic first aid
  • Death or disappearance of a person
  • Damage to any one party exceeding $1,000

Registering a Boat

Registration of vessels is handled by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Only boats with motors need to be registered. If you have questions about registering a boat, please contact the DMV or visit their website: New York State Parks


Navigational Aids

Aids to Navigation provide boaters with information in the same way that drivers obtain information from street signs and traffic markers. Aids to navigation are generally installed by a government agency. To request placement of a navigational aid, please contact the agency responsible for placing aids in that waterway.

Waterways Agency Responsible for Placing Navigational Aids
All tidal and ocean waterways, including the Great Lakes and Lake Champlain US Coast GuardLeaving New York State Parks
Waterways within the Adirondack and Catskill Park Regions Dept. of Environmental ConservationLeaving New York State Parks
Barge Canal System NYS Canal CorporationLeaving New York State Parks
All other waterways in New York State Office of NYS Parks, Recreation and Historical Preservation (OPRHP)

Commercial Vessel Licensing