We're looking for Lifeguards!
Spend your summer at your favorite pool or beach.
For Long Island lifeguard candidates, read the Long Island Region Qualifying Procedure
2017 Qualifications for all Regions except Long Island
- Minimum Age: 16 (preference is given to individuals 18 years of age and older)
- Prior to employment, you must have acceptable and current certifications in the following American
Red Cross courses (or equivalent):
- Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED with Waterfront Skills Module - for all regions except NYC and Long Island.
- Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED - in the New York City Region
- CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and Healthcare Providers
- First aid if not included in Lifeguard Training course material - in all regions except Long Island
- Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED with Waterpark Skills Module certification for any lifeguard working at a park with water slides
- All Lifeguard candidates are subject to a criminal background check as a condition of employment
Consult with the Agency Water Safety Office for equivalent courses.
- American Red Cross Lifeguard/First Aid/CPR/AED certifications are valid for 2 years. A separate CPR certificate is not required in the first year
- CPR certificates must be dated within the last year;
- A lifeguard will be terminated from lifeguard employment if any required certificate lapses during the operating season (recertification is acceptable);
- Candidates must successfully complete the qualifying procedure and any other training programs sanctioned by the Agency. Please Note: Candidates may participate in the qualifying process without
possessing certification; however, candidates that do possess current certifications will likely have an advantage in the process over those who do not due to familiarity with the subject matter.
All candidates will be required to present valid identification to participate in the qualifying
exam. Please check with your regional representative regarding acceptable identification.
- New candidates must undergo an interview by regional staff; the purpose of which is to evaluate an individual's maturity
and ability to communicate.
- After receiving a "conditional" offer of employment, each NEW candidate will be required to submit a current "NYS Parks
Medical Standards and Examination Findings" form, containing a Physician's certification concerning the candidate.
- As per Agency standard lifeguard candidates must meet vision requirements
- Candidates must be able to hear normal sounds in each ear.
- Returning lifeguards who qualify will be required to submit a notarized form stating they are physically capable
of performing lifeguard duties, with no medical changes. A returning lifeguard may be required to secure a standard medical
examination if there is any question concerning their physical status.
- All medical records will be held in confidence.
Long Island Region Qualifying Procedure - New Hire Procedure
Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps
The 2017 qualifying information will be available in Spring. Please check back. Depending on availability, position locations are at: Jones Beach, Robert MOses, Sunken Meadow, Heckscher, Hither Hills, Montauk Downs, Orient Beach and Wildwood State Parks.
The Long Island region lifeguard qualifying procedure will be held at the Suffolk County Community College - Athletic Complex Pool within the Brentwood Campus. The final component will be held at the West Bathhouse, Jones Beach State Park immediately after completion of the Suffolk County Community College component. Candidates are responsible for providing their own transportation between the sites.
Lifeguard Qualifying Procedure
Male candidates must wear either boxer, brief or board shorts when qualifying – no jammers. Female
candidates must wear a standard one piece or two piece bathing suit.
- 100 Yard timed swim - Suffolk County Community College
Applicant must finish swim in 75 seconds or less to continue.
- 50 Yard Cross Chest Carry - Suffolk County Community College
25 yard swim; 25 yard applicant carries manikin in cross-chest position in 55 seconds or less.
- ¾ mile (1,320 yards) Timed Endurance Run – Suffolk County Community College
Applicant must complete the ¾ mile (1,320 yards) in six minutes or less. (Sneakers recommended)
- Timed Ocean Swim – Jones Beach West Bathhouse Ocean Front
Applicant must complete the approximately 350-400 yard swim on prescribed open water, run-swim-run course to continue. Stopping
will result in being disqualified.
Note: All elements must be successfully completed to be considered qualified for hiring
(Not necessarily performed in this order).
All candidates must provide their own transportation between SCCC and Jones Beach West Bathhouse.
The minimum qualifications for taking the qualifying procedure and employment as a lifeguard are:
- Candidates must be at least 17 years of age by the date of the test - no exceptions.
- Candidates must be able to successfully complete both the Lifeguard Qualifying Procedure and the lifeguard training program.
All candidates must attend 40 hours of required training in pay status before they can be considered for placement as New Hire
lifeguards. Basic First Aid and CPR for the Professional Rescuer/AED with Administering Oxygen certification will be provided
during training. No prior swimming certifications are necessary.
- All candidates participating in the Qualifying Procedure must present photo proof of age and identity prior to the swim.
Please have valid government photo identification.
- As per Agency standard lifeguard candidates must meet vision requirements.
Immediately after successfully completing the procedure, Park assignments will be made in the West Bathhouse Pool meeting room.
After notification of successful completion, candidate must present the following documentation prior to
employment (Please note that candidates will have approximately one week to submit all required documentation, and will need to make
an appointment with their physician):
- A NYS Parks medical standards form completed by a qualified physician stating that the candidate meets the criteria listed to
perform full lifeguard duties and meets acceptable standardized requirements. (Due only after candidate has received a conditional
offer of employment.)
- An original birth certificate indicating that the candidate is at least 17 years of age (current U.S. Passport may be
presented in lieu of birth certificate at the time of hiring).
- An original Social Security Card.
- Candidates who are 17 years of age must present valid working papers.
- All New Hire candidates must present acceptable proof of employment eligibility.
- All New Hire candidates must successfully complete 40 hours of lifeguard rookie training in pay status and achieve
certification in Basic First Aid, CPR/AED (Professional Level) and Administering Emergency Oxygen prior to reporting to their
assigned work stations.
Please note that candidates will have approximately one week to submit all required documentation and may need to make an
appointment with their physician.
The Lifeguard Qualifying Procedure will be held at the Health, Sports and Education Center.