April 09, 2009
State Parks Announces 2009-10 Operating Schedule Changes for the Long Island Region
Park Patrons Urged to Take Note of Changes in Hours for Beaches, Pools
The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation today announced changes in the 2009-10 operating schedules at a number of parks and historic sites in the Long Island Region. The changes reflect a reduction in state spending at parks and historic sites.
"State Parks, like all state agencies, is responding to the current economic realities. We have been charged with making many difficult decisions and the changes we announce today are among them," said Commissioner Carol Ash.
"By concentrating the changes to the shoulder seasons, off-peak hours or facilities where similar services are available nearby, we hope to minimize the impact on our patrons," said Ash.
While approximately 100 parks and historic sites across the state will see some reduction in services, Ash noted that no parks have been closed in full, and the daily entrance fee to the parks is unchanged. In addition, a number of changes coincide with park repair and rehabilitation projects.
Changes for the Long Island Region are outlined below.
- Caleb Smith State Park Preserve: Closed on Monday & Tuesdays (previously closed Mondays only). Public fly fishing hours reduced (evening sessions no longer offered).
- Caumsett State Historic Park: The park will close early on weekdays (5:00 pm). Normal weekend hours will remain in place (8:00 pm closing).
- Heckscher State Park: The swimming pool season will be shortened by four weeks - open late (July 4) and close early (August 17).
- Hempstead Lake State Park: The carousel will be open on weekends and holidays only (closed weekdays; the carousel previously was open seven days/week).
- Jones Beach State Park: East Bathhouse swimming pool (one of two pools in the park) closed for 2009. West End ocean swimming beach closed for 2009. Zach's Bay swimming area will open for Memorial Day, but then close until June 27, and will close early (August 16). The Field 1 ocean swimming beach will be open only three major weekends (previously open all summer weekends).
- Robert Moses State Park: The Field 2 Beach area will close for the winter four weeks early (October 31).
- Regionwide - Reduced Programming. Examples of programs that will be reduced or eliminated include: Heckscher Spring Festival, Children's Summer Theater, Cultural Areas Concert Series, Shakespeare in the Park, and campground programming.