September 15, 2009
The New York State Board for Historic Preservation recommended the addition of 32 properties to the State and National Registers of Historic Places, including such nationally significant sites as the Chinatown-Little Italy Historic District and the Westbeth artists' studio and residential complex in Manhattan, the 1964-65 World's Fair New York State Pavilion in Flushing and the West Point Foundry archeological site in Cold Spring.
"These nominations highlight the diverse forces that have shaped New York's history," said Carol Ash, Commissioner of the state Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. "Listing these landmarks will give these physical reminders of our past the recognition and support they deserve."
Listing these properties on the State and National Registers can assist their owners in revitalizing the structures, making them eligible for various public preservation programs and services, such as matching state grants and state and federal historic rehabilitation tax credits.
The State and National Registers are the official lists of buildings, structures, districts, landscapes, objects and sites significant in the history, architecture, archeology and culture of New York State and the nation. There are 90,000 historic buildings, structures and sites throughout the state listed on the National Register of Historic Places, individually or as components of historic districts. Property owners, municipalities and organizations from communities throughout the state sponsored the nominations.
Once the recommendations are approved by the state historic preservation officer, the properties are listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places and then nominated to the National Register of Historic Places, where they are reviewed and, once approved, entered on the National Register.
STATE REVIEW BOARD RECOMMENDATIONS
Hiram Griggs House, Altamont - a Victorian Italianate residence built in 1873 for Hiram Griggs, the first mayor of Altamont.
Emmanuel Church of the Evangelical Association, Binghamton - now Our Free Will Baptist Church, the 1884 structure is a distinctive example of ecclesiastical architecture built to serve Binghamton's working class German-American immigrant population.
Hillsdale Historic District - a Federal period turnpike town, with many important surviving buildings, which evolved into a rural town center as railroad service was introduced in the late 19th century.
Rowe-Lant Farm, East Chatham - a largely intact example of a brick farmhouse built around 1790.
Millerton Historic District - a distinctive example of a village commercial district within an agricultural community that developed with the opening of the New York and Harlem Railroad in 1851. Trinity Methodist Church, Beacon - now the Springfield Baptist Church, and previously serving Presbyterian, Dutch Reformed and Methodist congregations, the 1849 structure has evolved significantly over time to serve its congregations' needs.
William Brandow House, Athens - a representative example of 18th century vernacular architecture in the Hudson Valley.
Ocean Parkway Jewish Center, Brooklyn - the first major example of the Jewish Center movement in the early 20th century, in which facilities to serve religious, educational, cultural and social needs were placed under one roof.
Shaari Zedek Synagogue, Brooklyn - now St. Leonard's Church, it is an example of an early 20th century church designed by modernist architect Eugene Schoen.
Congregational Church of the Evangel, Brooklyn - built in 1916-17, it is a distinctive example of a church inspired by the rural church architecture of Gothic England.
Kol Israel Synagogue - built in 1928 for an Orthodox congregation, it reflects an international trend to adapt Moorish-style ornament to synagogue design.
Croghan Island Mill, Croghan - built around 1875, it is one of the few remaining water-powered sawmills left in New York State.
Monroe County Rochester's Post-World War II Veterans Housing Projects - Fernwood Park, Ramona Park and Norton Village are pioneering examples of garden apartment complexes built for returning World War II veterans and their families.
DuPont-Guest House - the 1918 Georgian Revival is an example of the lavish, European-inspired country estates built by the wealthy on Long Island's North Shore.
New York County
Chinatown and Little Italy Historic District - nationally significant for its association with immigration and Chinese-American and Italian-American ethnic heritage.
Westbeth, New York - the first and largest example of publicly and privately financed conversion of an industrial complex - the former Bell Laboratories complex - into subsidized housing for artists.
Fort Washington Presbyterian Church - built in 1913-14, the church is an outstanding example of early 20th century religious design in the Georgian Revival style.
William H. Sabine House, Syracuse - the 1810 house is one of the oldest residential properties in Syracuse built by one of the first European settlers of Onondaga County.
Dock Hill Road Extension Stone Arch Bridge, Cornwall - an intact example of 19th century stone arch bridge construction.
Butterfield Cobblestone House, Holley - the 1849 Greek Revival home is an outstanding example of the cobblestone method of construction in New York State.
West Point Foundry Archeological Site, Cold Spring - the site holds the potential to yield tremendous information about the technology of an iron and brass foundry, industrial processes and social history of a 19th century industrial complex.
1964-65 New York World's Fair New York State Pavilion, Flushing - a rare surviving example of the 1964-65 World's Fair exhibition, an event of national significance, which was designed by eminent architect Philip C. Johnson.
The Church-in-the-Gardens, Forest Hills - a significant part of the planned suburb of Forest Hills Gardens conceived in 1909 by architect Grosvenor Atterbury and landscape designer Frederick Law Olmsted Jr., with support of philanthropist Olivia Sage.
Rockland County McCready House, Sloatsburg - the 1889 eclectic Late Victorian was the home of architect/builder Robert Workman McCready.
David Rayfiel House, Day - a rare simple glass house overlooking the Great Sacandaga Lake, constructed in 1958 for screenwriter David Rayfiel.
Fire Island Light Station Historic District, Fire Island - the 98-acre district incorporates the structures and site associated with the 1858 lighthouse tower, which was previously listed in the National Register in 1981.
Sherwood-Jayne House, East Setauket - a classic 18th century Long Island 'salt box,' the home was converted into a house museum by Howard Sherwood, a founding member of the Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities.
Spring House, Barryville - a distinctive intact example of a late 19th century inn typical of those established to serve tourists visiting the Upper Delaware Valley.
Jewish Center of Lake Huntington, Lake Huntington - a representative example of an early 20th century Jewish religious building associated with the community of the small resort hamlet of Lake Huntington.
Cumming Parker House, Esopus - the distinctive 1838 Picturesque Italian Villa-style house was at one time owned by Alton B. Parker, the 1904 Democratic Party candidate for president.
Preston-Gaylord Cobblestone Farmhouse, Sodus - the property contains an 1845-56 cobblestone house as well as an extremely rare surviving cobblestone barn.
Toward-Ennis Farmhouse and Barn Complex, Lyons - a remarkably intact collection of 19th century agrarian agriculture, including Greek Revival house, barns, carriagehouse and smokehouse.