Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation

Press Release

December 18, 2012

Randy Simons
Dan Keefe
518-486-1868

State Board Recommends 25 Nominations for State and National Registers of Historic Places

The New York State Board for Historic Preservation recommended the addition of 25 properties, resources and districts to the State and National Registers of Historic Places, including the Space Shuttle Enterprise.

"Our historic resources help establish New York's distinctive quality, character, and sense of place," said Rose Harvey, Commissioner of the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. "Listing these unique landmarks on the State and National Registers of Historic Places is a first step toward preserving, safeguarding and renewing these irreplaceable assets."

Listing these properties on the State and National Registers can assist their owners in revitalizing the structures, making them eligible for various public preservation programs and services, such as matching state grants and state and federal historic rehabilitation tax credits.

The State and National Registers are the official lists of buildings, structures, districts, landscapes, objects and sites significant in the history, architecture, archeology and culture of New York State and the nation. There are 90,000 historic buildings, structures and sites throughout the state listed on the National Register of Historic Places, individually or as components of historic districts. Property owners, municipalities and organizations from communities throughout the state sponsored the nominations.

Once the recommendations are approved by the state historic preservation officer, the properties are listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places and then nominated to the National Register of Historic Places, where they are reviewed and, once approved, entered on the National Register.

STATE REVIEW BOARD RECOMMENDATIONS

Brooklyn

Storehouse #2, US Navy Fleet Supply Base, Brooklyn – the reinforced concrete structure was one of two supply storage complexes commissioned by the U.S. Navy under the Preparedness Act of 1916 to capitalize on the freight potential afforded by water, rail, and truck near New York Harbor, which was the most important area of embarkation in the United States for cargo and troop ships bound for Europe during World War I.

Cattaraugus County

John J. Aiken House, Ellicottville – constructed ca. 1837 for the Reverend John J. Aiken, a locally prominent religious and business leader, the vernacular Greek Revival house reflects his initial success as a businessman and the respect he earned as a missionary.

Erie County

F.N. Burt Company Factory, Buffalo – construction of the daylight factory complex beginning in 1901 helped the company benefit from the proximity to rail lines, enabling it to become the leading provider of cigarette boxes and, later, cosmetic containers.

Genesee County

Augustus S. Tryon House, LeRoy – the 1867 Italianate house was built for Tryon, a successful merchant and farmer who settled in LeRoy after returning east from his adventures in California during the Gold Rush; it was later owned by another prominent businessman, mill-owner Charles Prentice, who bought the house in 1881.

Jefferson County

First Presbyterian Society of Cape Vincent Church, Cape Vincent – built in 1832 and extensively rehabilitated in 1882, 1892 and 1914, the church, constructed of local limestone, is significant as a distinctive and intact example of vernacular ecclesiastical building practices and changing architectural tastes in rural New York.

Manhattan

The First Battery Armory, New York – built in 1901-04 and designed by the New York City firm of Horgan and Slattery, the First Battery Armory served not only as a military facility and social club for a local unit of the National Guard, but also as a civic monument designed to symbolize governmental strength and presence within the community.

Space Shuttle Enterprise, New York – now located on the deck of the USS Intrepid, the Enterprise is exceptionally significant because of its role as the first and only full-scale prototype of the Space Shuttle orbiter fleet; its test missions were instrumental in preparing for the 135 space shuttle launches.

Murray Hill Historic District, New York – the expansion of the existing historic district boundaries incorporates additional examples of building types, including a number of Modern apartment buildings from the 1940s and 1950s, many of which were too young to be eligible at the time the original district was nominated.

Women's National Republican Club, New York – built 1932-34, the Neo-Georgian clubhouse has served as home of the Women's National Republican Club, which was founded shortly after the 19th Amendment was adopted to educate newly enfranchised women voters and encourage them to engage in politics.

Monroe County

South Wedge Historic District, Rochester – close to downtown and bordered by two significant waterways, the distinctive and substantially intact 19th-century working- and middle-class neighborhood represents Rochester's growth from the Erie Canal era to the early 20th century.

Montgomery County

First Methodist Episcopal Church, St. Johnsville – built in 1879, the red brick church is notable for its refined design and was financed entirely by subscription, evoking the era of prosperity enjoyed by St. Johnsville and its Methodist Episcopal congregation during the latter half of the 19th century.

Niagara County

Schoellkopf Power Station No. 3 Site, Niagara Falls – the site is significant for its association with the spectacular 1956 collapse of the station into the Niagara River gorge, causing massive power loss to the state and providing the impetus for the 1957 Niagara Redevelopment Act, which cleared the way for the Power Authority of the State of New York to build and operate the Niagara Power Project.

Orleans County

Bacon-Harding Farm – the farmstead includes a distinctive cobblestone Greek Revival house built in 1844 and is one of the oldest family farms located in the Town of Gaines that is still owned and managed by the same family.

Oswego County

State Street Methodist Church, Fulton – the 1894 Romanesque-inspired religious building is historically representative of the prominence that the city of Fulton obtained during the late 19th century as a major commercial and manufacturing hub on New York's canal system.

Otsego County

Morris Village Historic District, Morris – the highly intact commercial and residential streetscapes include an excellent collection of churches, civic buildings, and residences typical of nineteenth-century pedestrian-oriented villages in New York. The district also includes two cemeteries and a fairgrounds.

Queens

Far Rockaway Beach Bungalow Historic District, Far Rockaway – built in the 1920s, the district is the last remaining intact community of the seasonal beach bungalow architecture that once dominated the oceanfront of Far Rockaway.

Rensselaer County

United Waste Manufacturing Company Building – also known as "The Fortress," the 1902 building was erected as a warehouse for the storage of wool shoddy for United Waste's manufacturing operation in nearby Cohoes, and its imposing castle-like Romanesque architecture stands as an impressive local landmark.

Schoharie County

West Fulton Methodist Church, West Fulton – the 1906 late Victorian church interior reflects a trend which focused on increased flexibility and usability of the church—featuring curved pews facing an offset raised choir and lectern platform area to allow more participation in the liturgy and allow more of the congregation to be close to the pulpit.

Terpenning-Johnson House and Cemetery, Brooker Hollow – the house, barns and cemetery are historically significant as a surviving assemblage of resources dating to 1813 that chronicle the settlement, growth and development of a rural area in what became the town of Richmondville.

Ulster County

Appeldoorn Farm, Accord – the distinctive example of a farmstead that has evolved from when the farm was established by Benjamin and Catrina Schoonmaker in 1722, remaining actively engaged in agriculture for over two centuries, until its stone buildings were adapted into an architecturally significant country retreat in 1930-1937.

Judge Jonathan Hasbrouk House, Woodstock -- the ca. 1800 house is a noteworthy example of regional stone house construction built for a large landholder who was actively engaged in the region's social, political and economic affairs, and who served as an Ulster County judge.

United States Lace Curtain Mills, Kingston – Built ca. 1902-03 and remaining today largely as it was first erected, the facility provides a salient link to the once-thriving textile manufacturing activity that was centered in Kingston.J

oachim Schoonmaker Farm, Rochester –the homestead farm of Joachim Schoonmaker (1710-1789), the son of one of the Town of Rochester's earliest settlers, has been farmed continuously by his descendants up to the present day and includes a stone house built in 1787.

Washington County

Old Stone House Library, Fort Ann – the ca. 1825 building is distinguished by its use of cut Potsdam sandstone walls and Federal style ornamentation. It was built for tannery operator Hiram Shipman before it became the public library for the community in the early 1920s.

Wyoming County

The Attica Market & Main Historic District – the commercial core of 23 contributing buildings dating from 1827 to 1915 represents nearly a century of development in the village as a result of industrial development along natural waterways and two main transportation routes that intersected at this point in the village.