Choose the method that best fits your schedule, style and needs. Both options are approved by the New York State Office of Parks and result in certificates that never expire.
Please note that some courses charge a fee.
New York State Parks' Bureau of Marine Services has over 55 of experience teaching New Yorkers to operate their boats safely. In
the last 15 years, through State Parks network of certified instructors, we have taught more than 300,000 people.
The in-classroom course option is designed as a comprehensive study of boating safety to teach the fundamentals of safe boating operation. The course requires a structured
classroom setting and has been approved by the National Association of Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA).
- Courses are available throughout the state. The course listing is updated daily. Find a safe boating course near you.
- Registration for a course is completed by calling the contact number provided. Course providers are responsible for any fees they may charge.
- Fees paid to the instructor do not cover the cost of your permanent certificate issued by NYS Parks.
Online Class Instruction
The Boating Safety Certificate course requirements can also be completed online through one of the courses listed below.
- Courses are available at your convenience; just click one of the links below to begin your online learning experience. Course providers are responsible for any fees they may charge.
- Learning is completed online, successful completion of unit exams is required in order to advance through the course and ultimately undertake a comprehensive final exam.
- Fees paid to the online provider cover the cost of your permanent certificate issued by the provider.