Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation

Snowmobile Frequently Asked Questions

Skip Navigation LinksHome / Recreation / Snowmobiles / Education / Frequently Asked Questions

Is there a minimum age requirement to take a snowmobile safety course? Yes, a student must be at least ten (10) years old to attend a snowmobile safety education course.

How do I find courses? Select the link below. This will bring you to the master list of all publicly offered New York Snowmobiling Safety Courses. If there are no courses in your area, check back often, because the course list is updated daily. Courses are most often available during October – March.

View Snow Safety Course AvailabilityLeaving New York State Parks.

Can I take an on-line safety course? No. NY State law requires classroom instruction and successful completion of a proctored exam.

I'm visiting New York. Will my safety certificate from my home state be sufficient? Yes, a youthful operator who is a resident of another State, Country, or Province and is the holder of a valid snowmobile safety certificate issued pursuant to the laws of that state or country may operate in New York without having taken a safety course in New York. NYS laws must be obeyed when riding in New York. Operators should carry their snowmobile safety certificate when riding. For additional information about riding in NYS, consult our New York State Snowmobilers GuideLeaving New York State Parks.

Can I use my NY safety certificate in other states? You should contact the State that you wish to visit in order to verify its acceptance and carry your NY safety certificate with you when riding.

I lost my safety certificate. How can I get a replacement? What if I lost my temporary certificate? Download the Application for a Replacement NY Snowmobile Safety Certificate and mail it along with the $1.00 fee payable by cash, check or money order payable to "NYS Parks." If you lost your temporary certificate, contact our office, as we may be able to provide a photocopy.

Why did my instructor give me two temporary certificates? After completing the program your instructor should have given you two sheets; a pink temporary certificate, that you should carry while waiting for your permanent certificate, and a yellow copy that should be retained in a safe place for your records.

Why haven't I received my permanent safety certificate yet? Each participant who has successfully completed a snowmobile safety education course will receive a temporary certificate, which is good for (9) months. A permanent card should be received within 4-6 weeks after receipt of the temporary certificate. If you have not received your permanent card within 6 weeks, please contact our office at (518) 474-0446 for assistance.

How can I become an instructor? To become a State certified instructor you must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age,
  • Not have any convictions or pending charges relating to certain offenses,
  • Successfully complete an approved snowmobile safety course,
  • Submit a completed Prospective Instructor Application Form,
  • Be able to demonstrate an ability to instruct by currently holding a NYS Teachers Certificate, teach other professional courses, or assist in the instruction of other state certified snowmobile courses.

The above are preliminary steps to become certified. For more information, or to begin the certification process, please call (518) 474-0446.